Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Masculine Way to Stay Dry

Sometime back, I bought this magazine at a flea market for fifty cents or so, mainly because I liked the name of the magazine and its cover:



I always figured the magazine was aimed at women readers, but I was flipping through it today and found this ad inside:



Now I'm confused. There's a masculine way to stay dry? What would the more feminine way involve?

Another cool thing in the magazine was a column called Roundup, with news from "Western Movies, Music and TV," and which features the following:

Fans of country and Western music are discovering a bright new talent in the field--Bob Dylan. Only twenty years old, Bob's unique style of music-making has impressed city people, when he appeaars in nightclubs in places like New York. Besides singing, Bob composes some of his own songs and plays the guitar, harmonica, and piano.

His voice is not "pretty." He claims he is trying to recapture the rude beauty of a Southern field hand musing in melody on his porch, and his singing is husky, intense, dramatic, and sometimes humorous. He likes to do amusing musical monologues (one of his funniest is called Talking Bear Mountain) and really sad blues song, along with the more usual type of folk music.

To questions about where he comes from and what kind of training he's had, Bob gives very vague answers. But while nobody yet knows where he comes from, there is little doubt about where he's going--straight up there with the folk music greats. If you happen to catch his act on television or hear one of his records, we think you'll agree he has the "something special" that makes a performer stand out above the crowd.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think women can keep dry. Right? Or they'd be dead.