Sunday, October 15, 2006


Tonight I chopped off a baby squirrel's head.

That's right, I spilled some blood. Around five or six, I was on the front porch grading papers and watching the cold front come in when Anne called out that Stan, our orange cat, had caught a chipmunk.

She said I needed to come kill it the thing. I could hear Stan back there meowing like he does when he's got a bird or a lizard in his mouth and he's at the door crying to bring it inside. Anne has read that cats do that because they would like to contribute to the household. She says it's a kind of pride they're meowing about. So she pets him and expresses approval.

I saw that it wasn't a chipmunk, but a little squirrel. Six inches, not counting the tail, so not quite a baby, maybe more like a twelve-year-old kid version of a squirrel.

It was cute as all get-out, but I have to say, when I saw Stanley standing over that twitching squirrel, I was proud of him for real. If I were starving, that little baby squirrel would have made the difference. Come the apocalypse, we'll be wishing we had Stan around to bring us rodents for our meager stews.

But the squirrel was twitching, mechanically opening and closing its mouth. Its eyes were squeezed shut and and the lashes shone wet. Ridiculous, I know, but it was small and soft, and I'd like to have seen you chop its head off with a shovel.

For the next few hours I've been alternatingly horrifed and cocksure proud.

I'm still debating with myself whether to post here a photo that little decapitated squirrel head. I should do it before the thing dessicates, but I don't want to look at it through a camera right now. It's so cute and so horrifying at the same time. Looking at it, I wanted to roll it in my palm like a rabbit's foot keychain.

2 comments:

[ryland] said...

I had to end it for a squirrel one time, on a root-broken sidewalk in Lafayette.

Your description is spot on, so I'll just say it was too precious a thing to demolish. I had to use a chunk of concrete, too large to aim properly, and I had to throw it twice to hit my mark.

I buried the ruined little body in my back yard, under a tree.

When I was a kid, my mom would call from the backyard, and I'd know to bring a shovel. But that was for copperheads, and even the babies I didn't mind killing...

It's the furry little creatures that we "release," isn't it?

James said...

I forgot to say: I'm keeping the skull. I've put it somewhere safe to retrieve once it's clean and bleached by the sun.