Saturday, April 14, 2007


I guess a lot of the relationships you see depicted in action movies are primarily the result of severe shock and stress. Indiana Jones and James Bond always get a girl, but the women have always recently undergone a series of traumatic episodes and have entered some emotionally fragile state. They're going to fall in love with the first guy who rescues them.

Just a side note: the list of people I would kiss and hug for saving my life is long. And varied. Would make more sense to list the ones I wouldn't.

In a hell of a lot of action movies, there's some element of coercion to the relationship. The girl doesn't want to even be there at first, but maybe she's handcuffed to him, or they're both trapped somewhere. Maybe he's even kidnapped her, or like Rhett Butler, had to drag her up to bed.

I've read that key idea in the Stockholm syndrome is that once you believe your life is in another man's hands, every moment he chooses not to actually kill you becomes understood as further proof of his kindness and goodness. Another day! You're too kind!


No comments: