Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I watched Obama's speech at MLK Jr.'s Church recently; it's a well-crafted and moving speech and worth a look. The reason I mention it is the comments I saw on YouTube regarding the video. Amazing first of all was how snark-free they were. One in particular caught my eye because it seemed to express what (in part) lies behind Obama's appeal as a candidate, his power to inspire:
I'm 25. I began paying attention to politics only after 9/11. I've only known what it is to be skeptical, cynical, and critical of the actions of the executive and legislative branches of the federal government. I had never once given a thought to what it would be to feel pride in one's President till I read your comment. But that *is* how it would be were Obama elected; I would feel *uncontainable* pride to be American— for the first time in my life.

No comments: