Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I'm teaching Marilynne Robinson's book Housekeeping, now, which is all about impermanence and loss, and so as a thought experiment I asked my students to list some of the precious things they've lost. Here are a few of their responses:
  • All the pets I've ever had
  • My memories of India
  • My trust in my mother (she married a bad man)
  • My rabbit, Angel -- eaten by dog
  • My friend, Aaron - car crash
  • The castle spire that rose from the trees behind my house--turned out to be only a radio tower
  • My homework
  • The respect I held for one teacher
  • My home, to a fire
  • My great grandmother's bumble bee earrings.
  • The idea that my parents know everything
  • Balloons that flew away
  • My best friend Anthony, when he drowned a few years ago
  • My perfect discipline record (the Principal made me spend the whole day in an isolated office b/c she saw a poem I wrote in gifted class and thought I practiced wicca, clearly a religion that requires unchecked punishment)
  • My grandpa
  • A Christmas tape my mom played every night (year round) so I could fall asleep.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

-A yellow and black skirt from the 1950s that twirled when I moved around. I bought it from the egg lady from John Waters' Pink Flamingos.
-Freedom to eat scones
-Refusal to vote for anyone in the two-party system
-80% of what I learned in American History, World History, Survey of Women's Literature, Early English Literature, and (well, who cares) Post-elementary-level Math
-Interest in Get Into Shape magazines
-70% of my interest in having sex with women
-Almost all possessions